Saturday, September 6, 2008

Millions of Peaches, Peaches for Free...






Now, I'm not sure what the peaches in the PoUSA song represent, but in this case, I really am talking about peaches, my friends. I am finally, finally making good on my promise for a peach pie.

My mother was so upset she couldn't be here for it. She loves her some peach pie. Plue, it was the first peach pie I'd ever made. It was also my first attempt at a lattice topped pie. It turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself. Well, for a first try, anyway. My celebrity taste testers agreed.:) I thought it was ok. It wasn't great (would have been better had the peaches been more ripe).

The pie itself was fairly easy -- I blanched the peaches first to get the skin off, and then sliced 10 peaches fairly thin. Mix that with 1/2 c. white sugar, 1/2 c. brown sugar, 1/3 c. flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, my secret ingredient (which you'll notice in my cast of character's photo, I turned around -- a girl has to keep some secrets:), and a tablespoon of cornstarch. Put into unbaked pie crust. Put lattice on top, wash with egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake at 350 for 45 min.-1 hour (mine was closer to one hour). I also left the pie in the oven when I turned it off at an hour to make sure the sauce thickened.

I also made candy today (caramels). I love caramel. Between caramel and butterscotch, I could be set for life. It was also a simple, simple recipe. To be posted later.

Serve the pie with ice cream, for sure!

Ophelia was a little sad she couldn't participate in today's fun, but she understood. Sometimes she just has a little too much power for what is necessary.:)

1 comment:

teryn j. said...

Peach pie AND caramels?! I'm moving in.