Monday, September 8, 2008

Decisions, Decisions...






Sometimes, Ophelia and I just can't decide. So, instead of deciding, we just go for it. Tonight, we went for it, indeed.:) Two of our specialties -- Barefoot Contessa's Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars, and my mother's Dutch Apple Pie. Both have undergone some revising, but Ophelia and I aren't telling.:) Like we said before, we have to keep some secrets, or we'd lose our fan base. Yes, we're crazy like that.

Now, I must admit that my mother and I are known for this pie all over the place. She's been making it since I was a little girl. You don't need to know how long that is, for both our sakes. People far and wide in MN know this pie -- people ask for it at get-togethers. She gives it as birthday presents, and makes it for any major holiday. I absolutely love this freaking pie. It's like a little slice of home for me. I've been making it since my last full-time teaching gig in Iowa when I figured out that hey, I like to bake, and I'm not too shabby at it, and thus can have a slice of home wherever I am. Plus, then I get to share a little bit of my Minnesota with others, too. So, I have a wide range of fans for this pie. The peanut butter bars are more recent, but Ophelia and I have perfected them. Plus, we're obsessed with The Barefoot Contessa. Ok, I'm obsessed about Ina Garten and Ophelia has to listen to me talk about her all the time while we cook. I fawn over her cookbooks and her show. I will make any recipe if it comes from Ina's kitchen. When I grow up, I want to be Ina Garten. I think, if I could make money doing this for a living, I totally would. For now, I'll have to stick with gushing over Ina and creeping my friends out with my strange obsession for this woman I've never met. Whatever.

I've also found that peanut butter bars and apple pie are just the ticket when you've had a "God Damn Mongolians" day. To understand what I mean, see here: South Park's "God Damn Mongolians". I love South Park.

2 comments:

teryn j. said...

One of my favorite things about you is your understanding that some days need to be medicated with food. Good food.

Unknown said...

Those damn mongolians and their city walls LOL. I'm totally drooling over that pie!